Monday, August 8, 2011

Child like Tendencies


Dear Diary,

I am convinced that every thing one needs to know to survive can be learned from watching little children. It’s a wonderful day to be alive and I’m thankful. Over the weekend, I had my little angel over to spend time with me…and she must have thought it was an invitation to a carousel. I chased, screamed, threatened, yelled, pacified, consoled, loved, laughed but best of all , I communicated with her. My god daughter is only two and I made up my mind to NOT discipline her by spanking…I wanted to try out a different restraining style. There were times, she’d do things to deliberately push my buttons, like empty a huge bag of make up on my white bed sheet, attempt to pull me up with my braids or take my laptop and throw it on the ground, I understood she just wanted my attention, at least that was what I was taught.

Anyways, I survived the weekend and needless to say I did nothing on the weekend other than constantly clean and return things back to the original position however, I learned a lot from my 2yr old boss. It did not matter how many times I made her cry either by scolding or forcing her to eat, she will still run back to me in her tears and give me a kiss..almost like she forgot I jst made her cry

Lesson #1: Forgive and move on

So as part of my plan to avoid using a cane and utilizing other disciplinary measures, this past weekend I made sure to listen to baby angel more and explain her actions to her and the consequences surprisingly, it worked! I have learned that just like adults, children like to be respected and the best way to teach respect to anyone is to be respectful to them and that means, suspending the yelling and scolding till you’re indoors.

Lesson # 2: No one wants to be told they messed up in the presence of others. Save the correction till you are alone with them..it makes for effective communication and builds respect.

I’m making rather surprising discoveries with my 2 yr old…bah bah..boo boo..and da da don’t always make for good progressive lingo. Babies are intelligent beings too…and the faster you develop their intelligence the easier it is. How does baby angel know how to turn on the tv, operate the DVD and watch Dora the explorer without any help whatsoever? Its because Dora is of interest to her and figures it must be easy to learn this process of watching her favourite cartoon than try to get aunty Ehi to do it for her. Some times, we are unassuming and don’t bother explaining processes to them and so they grow up to be adults with great capacity but stuck in the brain of a child.

Lesson #3: Dumbing down ideas just makes more mediocres but pushing people past their limits helps them rise and conquer the challenges of life


Yes, it was a stressful weekend with my baby angel but she taught me more than I would ever have bargained for.
*Now awakening my child like tendencies* who wants to go play in the sand?

Yours sincerly
Bourgy Babe

No comments: